High self-esteem or self-confidence, is not something some lucky people are born with, a lot of it lies in our upbringing, and how our self-image have been build up through life. If we want happiness, success and fulfillment, we need high self-esteem. If we appreciate ourselves, and look at us as worthy of whatever we find important, we will automatically have high self-esteem and a strong self-image, which is our conception of our beliefs about ourselves.
In fact how we see ourselves will always influence our thoughts, actions, feelings and behavior. And all that put together with our abilities and from that comes the results we produce in our life. So if we have low self-esteem, we will have an inner image of ourselves as some sort of a failure or defeat, and we will see ourselves as not very worthy, and probably feel like we are a victim of circumstance and bad luck.
People with high self-esteem, are not beating themselves up when they fail at something, they go right back to being optimistic, and see what some might see as failure, as a success, much like Thomas Edison described it when inventing the electric light bulb. “ I don’t’ see myself failing 3000 times with this, I am certain that it will work, and I am 3000 tries closer to success.” Not quite accurately what he said, but I think you get the point here.
From this we can also see that high self-esteem people have a sense of direction, and a feel for what they do as important. When things don’t work out right for them, they usually stand back, and look objectively at their results, and find what they can correct in order to produce another result, as opposed to low self-esteemed people, who often do the exact same thing to get the exact same results, and they don’t have a clue why.
So, what is the secret to high self-esteem? Basically, it is accepting the self, and then peeling off the layers of conditioning and lies that have caused self-esteem and self-confidence to decrease and be buried.
What we can do to increase our self-esteem and confidence?
1. Accept where you are in life, and don’t keep beating up yourself when you fail at something.
2. Get at peace with your past, your weaknesses and your strengths.
3. Don’t take yourself so seriously, we all make mistakes, and it’s not the end of the world every time.
4. Work on loving yourself for what you are, we are all unique persons, and we all have a worth in life. And try to understand that you are here for a purpose.
5. Remember and cherish your successes, no matter how small they are, it will help your mind learn that success is a part of you. Praise yourself when you achieve something, it is you’re achievement, and praising yourself for your success is quite the opposite of beating yourself up for failing.
6. Finally, set goals for yourself, plan your successes, and reward yourself, at least emotionally by praising yourself whenever you achieve some sort of a goal, make it small achievable goals to begin with, it is a great confidence booster to achieve a goal, no matter how small it may seem to others, this is your life, go out and get it.
Do these 6 steps regularly, take action, and you will be well on your way to more self-esteem and self-confidence, put your all in it and take back the life you deserve.