**xili-language provides for a bilingual (or multilingual) website an automatic selection of language (.mo) in theme according to the language of current post(s) or page. Theme’s behaviour can be fully personalized through settings, hooks and api. Ready for CMS developers and designers.**
* xili-language plugin provides an automatic selection of language in theme according to the language of displayed post, series of posts, page or articles. *If the post is in gaelic, the texts of the theme will be in gaelic if the author checks the post as gaelic and if the theme contains the right .mo file for this target language.*
* A very readable interface with a list of titles (and links) to help you write/edit/modify articles and their translations.
* To help authoring, current user can choose language of his dashboard.
* xili-language select *on the fly* the multilingual .mo files present in the theme’s folder (no cookies, no redirections like “301”).
* xili-language uses a custom taxonomy to specify language of post, page and custom post. **Full compatible with WP JSON REST API**
* xili-language plugin works on Wordpress installation in mono (standalone) or on one site belonging to a multisite (network) install.
* xili-language plugin works on Wordpress installation for WebApp with JSON REST API – see [changelog](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/changelog/) because [WP JSON REST API](https://wordpress.org/plugins/json-rest-api/) 1.2.1 in under full development but yet powerful.
* As *educational plateform* in constant changing since 2009, xili-language trilogy tries to use most of the WordPress Core functions and features (Custom taxonomy, API, metabox, pointer, help, pomo libraries, …). The options are adjustable.
= Version 2.21.2 =
* Last Updated 2016-07-28
* W A R N I N G – see [tab and chapters in changelog](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/changelog/)
> For bbPress users, xili xl-bbp-addon plugin is no more a plugin. Components are optionally (if bbPress active) included. An option is also added in Experts tab of settings.
= Prequisite =
* A project of a website with articles in different languages.
* A **localizable theme** : Every themes with **localization** (or translation-ready like twentyfourteen) can be easily used (and improved) for realtime multilingual sites.
* A tool to translate .po files of the theme and built .mo files (poEdit or better xili-dictionary – *see below* ).
* see [this page in wiki.xiligroup.org](http://wiki.xiligroup.org/index.php/Xili-language:_Getting_started,_prerequisites).
= What to prepare before and during installation before activating =
* verify that your theme is translation-ready. Collect .po files of theme for target languages.
* if rtl languages are used, verify that theme contains rtl.css file.
= Links and documentation to read before activating =
* Check out the [screenshots](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/screenshots/) to see it in action and other tabs [here](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/other_notes/).
* [latest news inside twentyfourteen-xili example](http://2014.extend.xiligroup.org/),
* [latest bundled child theme of twentyfifteen: twentyfifteen-xili example](http://2015.extend.xiligroup.org/),
* [xili wiki](http://wiki.xiligroup.org/),
* [news and history](http://dev.xiligroup.com/xili-language/),
* [forum](http://dev.xiligroup.com/?post_type=forum) to read experience of users and obtain some support,
* For **webmaster**: Before to be moved in wiki, [table](http://dev.xiligroup.com/?p=1432) summarizes all the technical features (widgets, template tags, functions and hooks) of this powerful plugin for personalized CMS created by webmaster,
* For **german speaking webmaster** some [documentations and posts](http://2012.wpmu.xilione.com/?lang=de_de) are written by YogieAnamCara of [sensorgrafie](http://www.sensorgrafie.de)
* and finally the source code of the plugin itself if you read php!
= Themes provided as examples =
* Since WordPress 4.1, the default theme named **twentyfifteen** can be used without php coding for a multilingual site [as shown here twentyfifteen-xili](http://2015.extend.xiligroup.org).
* Other child theme examples of bundled parent themes: **twentyeleven** [twentyeleven-xili](http://2011.wpmu.xilione.com/), **twentytwelve** [twentytwelve-xili](http://2012.wpmu.xilione.com/), **twentythirteen** [twentythirteen-xili](http://2013.extend.xiligroup.org/), **twentyfourteen** [twentyfourteen-xili](http://2014.extend.xiligroup.org/), **twentyfifteen** [twentyfifteen-xili](http://2015.extend.xiligroup.org/).
= Other compatible plugins by xiligroup dev =
**TRILOGY FOR MULTILINGUAL CMS WEBSITE**
including [xili-language plugin](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-language/)
Please verify that you have installed the latest versions of:
* [xili-dictionary plugin](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-dictionary/): With xili-dictionary, it is easier to create or update online, via admin/dashboard UI, the files .mo of each language.
* [xili-tidy-tags plugin](https://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/xili-tidy-tags/): With xili-tidy-tags, it is now possible to display sub-selection (cloud) of **tags** according language and semantic trans-language group (trademark,…).
= That this plugin does not =
*With around 8000 php lines, xili-language is not everything…*
* xili-language plugin **does not create additional tables in the database**, do not create cookies and only use 4 lines in Options table. xili-language simply makes proper use of the taxonomy tables and postmeta table offered by WordPress to define language and link items between them. Because xili-language plugin does not modify deeply the post edit UI, it is possible to use **iPhone / iPod Touch** Wordpress app to prepare and draft the post.
* xili-language plugin does not replace the author or the editor. No automatic translation. Content strategist is the master of the languages, the contents and the navigation inside the website. With xili-dictionary, webmaster can translate the theme’s items and when .mo files are in place, xili-dictionary can be deactivated. For design, the creator is free to choose text or graphic. xili-language does not provide flags (or few as example in child-theme example like [twentytwelve-xili](http://2012.wpmu.xilione.com) )!
= Newbie, WP user, Developer,… =
* Dear **Newbie:** originally built for webmaster and developer, the plugin trilogy progress since 6 years to be more and more plug and play for newbies who can read and spend a little time mainly for translation.
* xili-language is also dedicated for theme’s creator or webmaster with knowledges in CMS and WP and having (or not) tools to create .mo language files. Through API (hook), the plugin add automatic tools (or links or filters) for sidebar or top menus. Categories or Archives lists are translated also.
* xili-language provides also series of functions which can be *hooked* in the functions.php file of the theme that you create i.e. for a cms like multilingual website.
= Licence, donation, services, “as is”, … =
Contrary to popular belief, *GPL doesn’t say that everything must be zero-cost*, just that when you receive the software (plugin or theme) that it not restrict your freedoms in how you use it. *Free open source plugin does not mean free services*
* Texts of licence: [GPLv2](http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html)
* Donation link via paypal in sidebar of [dev.xiligroup site](http://dev.xiligroup.com/)
* Services : As authors of plugin, dev.xiligroup team is able to provide services (consulting, training, support) with affordable prices for WP multilingual contexts in corporate or commercial websites.
* Plugin is shipped **as is** : see no warranty chapter in license GPLv2.
= Roadmap =
* Improved documentation for getting starts, template tags and functions – [here in news](http://2014.extend.xiligroup.org/) or [here by Vladimir](http://2014.extend.xiligroup.org/en/description-and-features/xili-language-first-installation-by-vladimir/).
* Delivery of a *premium* services kit (with powerful features and attractive fees) packaged with professional training and support.
* Updating sources *(parts are 6 years old)* with new libraries provided since WP 4.2.
* Contributions are welcome ;-)