Cookie Consent is one of the simplest and most popular cookie notification plugins out there. It’s been actively developed and supported since 2012 and has over 100 5 star reviews.
> New in 2.3.0:Geo IP support – choose which continents to display notifications (requires GeoIP Detect plugin to be installed)
> New in 2.2.0:Easily select pages or posts where the cookie notification doesn’t display. You now have complete control over which pages display a notification and which don’t.Close on scroll – optionally choose scrolling as closure method.
= Simple set up =
= Features =
* Choice of dismissal method – on click, on scroll, or timed
* Choice of dismissal element – either button or ‘x’ close
* Option to show the notification on the first page only – subsequent pages visited by the user will not display the message
* Option to exclude selected pages and posts from displaying the notification
* Choice of position – either top or bottom bar, or floating in one of the corners of the screen
* Translation support
* Customization options – including the ability to update styles from within the customizer
* Inherits your theme styles where possible
* The option to use an absolute or external URL to link to for further information
* Set the cookie duration
* Set the cookie version – updating a version will reset the cookie on all user sites
= Translations =
* Polish (jraczynski)
* Slovakian (lacike)
* Italian (wocmultimedia)
= EU Directive =
We think this is the simplest but most effective method of dealing with the legislation.
The plug-in is a straightforward approach to help you comply with the EU regulations regarding usage of website cookies. It follows the notion of “implied consent” as described by the UK’s Information Commissioner and makes the assumption that most users who choose not to accept cookies will do so for all websites. A user to your site is presented with a clear yet unobtrusive notification that the site is using cookies and may then acknowledge and dismiss the notification or click to find out more. The plug-in automatically creates a new page with pre-populated information on cookies and how to disable them, which you may edit further if you wish.
Importantly, the plug-in does not disable cookies on your site or prevent the user from continuing to browse the site. Several plug-ins have adopted the “explicit consent” approach which obliges users to opt in to cookies on your site. This is likely to deter visitors.